As though God, sanguine and radiant, had kissed bog and bough, berry and ball
Here in sunny Florida, everyone has a citrus tree growing next door. These fancrantastic cookies are made with freshly grated orange zest, preferably with oranges plucked from a tree in your neighborhood or from the table of a local market vendor. Of course, we don’t have a cranberry bog nearby, but you may. Feel free to visit your local bog if you can’t get local oranges.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream butter, sugar, 1 tablespoon orange zest and salt.
- Add the egg and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and cranberries to the creamed butter & sugar from way back in step two and mix until just combined. Chill the dough while you make the orange rolling sugar (next).
- Combine ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest in a bowl. Use your fingers – yay! – to rub the two together until everything is combined and the mixture is fragrant. Sniff.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in orange sugar (the dough balls, not you). Place on a baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10 – 13 minutes in your preheated oven or until lightly golden. Cool (both you and the cookies).
- Share and eat!
One of our markets, the Twilght Tuesday at Kaleisia Tea Lounge, is having a Detox month. Typically, folks who are trying to detoxify their bodies don’t go for the particularly good ingredients inside of a properly done cookie. Well, maybe they do, but then they have to start all over again.
So what do cookies have to do with detoxification? Well, that depends on whose cookies we’re talking about, and on what kind of detox you’re thinking of.
We already have a detox program called Two Cookies and a Friend. Basically, you show up (or click here), buy cookies and then buy more cookies for strangers by putting money in our Two Cookies jar. Once you do that, anyone can use it. Neat-o!
Annnnnd exactly how is that a detox program, you ask?
Well, food isn’t the only thing that can fill you with toxins. Consider the toxic effect of over 4 million people in and around our city not sharing cookies. Yuck! It’s sad, but we humans don’t always share much. Sometimes it’s because we’re greedy and selfish. Other times, it’s just because businesses don’t make it easy. Either way, selfishness is toxic, and we’re here to help.
Help us detox the Tampa Bay area one cookie at a time. Visit us and either buy someone cookies or buy your own using someone else’s money. We could all use a little sweetness sometimes, and cookies are both sweet and sometimes!
P.S. If you’re detoxing your body, buy cookies for someone who isn’t. Maybe they need a little sweetness right now.